We, Will show you what to do if you tried updating your Windows operating system and suddenly you encountered these windows update error “0x80070490“, and how you can fix it.
Generally user try to get their windows update from the latest version Microsoft and, hence during update this error occurs.
What are the causes and solution methods for the error 0x80070490?
The causes may be many but one of the main causes of this error 0x80070490 is damaged components of the Component-Based Servicing package manager.
As a result of the damage, the installer cannot complete the update, so the system cannot be updated without the user taking some extra steps. In addition to Windows 10, the previous versions Windows 8 and 7 are also vulnerable to this problem.
There are several methods to solve the problem with downloading and installing updates with Windows Update.
Method 1: Run System File Checker Scan
With the System File Checker tool, which is a built-in utility for recovering damaged system files. It will perform the registry scan and attempt to repair any corrupt registry files in the operating systems.
Here is a quick guide on how to use a system file checker scan.
To start it, you need to use the Command Prompt. To do it, type “cmd” in the search field and click to start it as Administrator.
Command Prompt window will popup, and type “sfc /scannow”. It will start scanning the computer, which should not be too long. When the scan is over, close the command prompt window and restart the operating system.
As soon as you’ve done that, Windows Update should work properly, and this error should disappear.
Also Read: How to Solve Windows Update Cannot Currently Check For Updates in Windows 10
Method 2: Restart the Windows Update service
If the first method didn’t help you, try restarting the Windows Update service. In the search field, or in Run dialogue box type “Services.msc”, then find Windows Update and open it.
In the window that opens, make sure the startup type is set to “Automatic”, stop it, and then start it again. Otherwise, right-click on the service and select “Restart.”After that, check if you encounter the same error again.
Method 3: Repairing Windows Update with Windows Repair Suite
Windows Repair is a freeware repair tool that is used to solve common windows problems, which also includes Windows Update related problems.
Here’s a quick guide on how you can repair Windows Update services with Windows Repair.
- Download the Windows repair tool from Tweaking.com.
- Once downloaded then open the windows Repair, and select the Repair – Main tab, click on Open Repairs.
- In the Repairs window, use the drop-down menu under Repairs to select the Windows Updates presets.
- select the repair option, and click the Start Repairs button and wait for the process to complete.
- Reboot your computer system and see if you see the same error 0x80070490 persists.
Method 4: System Restore
If you still see the same error, the next thing you can try is to restore your system. That will allows you to reverse certain changes that were made to your operating system, However it is only possible if you have configured system protection options and created a restore point for your system drive.
- Type “rstrui” in the search field or in Run dialogue box to use this function, then click Next.
- choose the latest restore point, then “Next”.
- Click on Finish and You will see a warning that system recovery can be stopped only after this process is over, then click Yes at the next prompt to start the restore process. When the restore is complete, your PC will automatically restart. Upon the reboot, your OS will be restored to the previously selected version and the error 0x80070490 should be removed.
Method 5: Deployment Image Servicing and Management
Step 1: If you still see this error on your screen, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool.This tool works from the Command Prompt, run it as an Administrator
Step 2: and, type the following commands in the command prompt: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Step 3: This process may take some time so wait until it is over.
FAQ: Windows Update Error 0x80070490
1) How to resolve this Windows Update Error 0x80070490?
Step 1: Run System File Checker Scan
Step 2: Restart the Windows Update service
Step 3: Repairing Windows Update with Windows Repair Suite
Step 4: System Restore
2) Why this Error 0x80070490 occurs?
0x80070490 error occurs due to damaged components of the Component-Based Servicing package manager
Also, this problem can be caused by a virus. Check your computer for malware. Finally, if all the tricks still don’t work to resolve your Windows Update Error 0x80070490 in Windows 10/8/7, the only thing left to do is to reinstall or reset the operating system. Comment us to let us know which method helped you to solve the problem, and what other methods you know that will help to other respective users. Good luck.