The error of “steam content file locked” usually occurs while updating certain games on the PC device, an error display as on the system is “An error occurred while updating (game name) content file locked”. Although the error can be easily solved permanently from your computer systems with some of our practically tested methods.
The reason why this error occurs is that the steam cannot write the files properly to the hard disk or storage device, although there are many solutions for this error, the most prominent solution is to uninstall the steam and all local game content from the system and again reinstall it from scratch.
Although it has worked for many users it takes time for completion and data consumption too, but before taking this major step, let us check what are the other problems where we can easily troubleshoot and resolve the error.
How can I fix the steam content file locked error?
1. Repair corrupt files
We would like to recommend you download Restoro PC Repair Tool on the website and run on your system to scan damaged files, remove malware threats, fix PC issues, and disk space. Just download the software and click Start Scan to scan the systems issues and later click Repair All to fix the issues.
2. Check your Antivirus
In many cases, when you try to update any game software, the “content file locked steam” error occurs due to the Antivirus installed into your computer.
Mostly the Antivirus doesn’t mark the steam files as the potential virus and quarantine them, but in some Antivirus yes, you need to disable the antivirus and update the game, even if it doesn’t work then try to uninstall the antivirus and update it and later reinstall the antivirus software if the error persists then hop to our next solution methods.
3. Reset Winsock
Another problem causing the “steam content file locked” while updating is the Winsock catalog. It can be easily resolved by executing the command reset Winsock. To do this, follow the command below.
- Press the Windows key + R key in order to open the Run dialog box.
- Enter netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
then restart your computer and it will rollback to the default settings.
4. Change the Location of Steam and Game Files
Another method to fix the error of “steam content file locked” is by changing the steam installation and game files location.
Here is the step by step method changing the Steam and Game Files location:
- Go to your Steam Client and click on Settings.
- Select Downloads and click on Steam Library Folders.
- Select Add Library Folder at the lower-left corner and select the new path or location where you want steam to be located.
- Then click on the Close tab to finish.
- Go to Steam Directory, the default path would be (c:\Program Files\Steam).
- Now delete all the files and folders except SteamApp and UserData and also do not delete the .exe file which is a very important application file.
- Then select all the files by pressing (Ctrl+A) keys and then Right-click on it and select a cut option from the dialog box and paste them to the new Directory which you have decided.
- Now open the steam and re-login to update the steam games.
If you still encounter a steam content file locked error then the follow below steps.
- Close the steam
- Go to the steam file new location which you had selected before.
- Change or move the ‘SteamApps’ folder location from directory to desktop.
- Then uninstall the steam.
- Install the steam again to the same location which you had selected earlier.
- Then move the SteamApps folder to the steam directory which will copy all your game content and saved games and settings.
- Launch the steam and enter your User ID and Password.
- And later check the integrity of steam game files and play the game.
This way you will be able to fix the ‘content file locked steam error‘. If not, check the next one.
5. Check Your Hard disk
Checking the hard disk is another great way to fix the ‘steam content file locked’ error where it can locate the corrupted files or the bad sectors from the hard drive and fix the bad sectors through the “check disk” scan.
The following are the steps to run the ‘Check Disk‘ scan to find the bad sectors from the hard drive and fix the error.
- Press Windows + R key simultaneously.
- Type cmd and hit enter.
- Type ‘chkdsk c: /f‘ and press enter.
- Then press ‘Y’ for scheduling of disk check scan.
- check for the error if persists.
6. Run as Administrator
Sometimes steam requires special rights to access the files and folders if the rights are not granted the steam content file locked error may occur, kindly find the below steps how to run the steam as an administrator.
- Just Right Click on the Steam icon then go the properties option.
- ,and to the Compatibility tab and search the Run this program as an administrator option and check the box.
- Click on Apply and then click OK.
- launch the Steam and check if the error occurs again.
FAQ: Steam Content File Locked Error
- How do I fix content locked on steam?
- Disable the antivirus.
- Reset Winsock.
- Change the Location of Steam and Game Files.
- Check Your Hard disk.
- Run as Administrator.
- Can I copy Steam games to an external hard drive?
Yes, all you need to do is right-click on the games > Properties > Local Files > Move Install Folder.
- How do I clear my Steam cache?
Go to Steam > Settings.
In the Settings panel>Downloads tab>click CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE.
Select OK to confirm.
I hope you have found out the reason why this error “Steam error content file locked” occurs while updating your Steam games? You can carry out the appropriate solution according to the cause of the issue. Certainly, if you have any problems with the solutions mentioned in this article, you can leave them in the comment section below, we will reply to you as soon as possible.