DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine: DX11, also known as DirectX 11, is an application programming interface that runs in a Windows environment. It works by handling multimedia tasks on the Microsoft platform.
Even though it is stable software, you may run into certain problems. In the last part of our troubleshooting series, we will cover error level 10.0 of the DX11 function.
What is DirectX?
DirectX is a collection of APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) developed by Microsoft to handle game programming and multimedia tasks across all Microsoft-related platforms. The API collection offers DirectX-compatible programs for hardware-accelerated multimedia support. Among other things, DirectX provides tools for programs (games or other applications) that you can use to determine the capabilities of your hardware and adjust its parameters for the best experience.
Solution on fixing DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine issue?
Before trying any of the suggested troubleshooting steps for this particular problem the first thing to do is to try restarting your computer as this will usually fix most problems caused by minor software issues.
If you receive the error message “DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine” on your computer, it usually means that you do not have the hardware required to support Direct3D feature level version 10.0. Your graphics card might have out-of-date drivers or a corrupt DirectX installation.
Here are the troubleshooting steps you need to follow to solve this problem.
1. Check version of DirectX
In this case, you should first check which version of DirectX your computer is using.
- Open the Run box (Windows key + R).
- Type “dxdiag” and press Enter
- For information about the DirectX version, see System Information on the System tab.
To check if your graphics card supports the required level of functionality, go to the Display tab under Drivers and see which level of functionality is supported by your graphic card.
If the functional level 10_0 (10.0) is not displayed below the entry at the functional level in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, it may be for the following reasons:
- Your graphics card driver is out of date.
- Your operating system needs updating.
- Your graphics card does not support Feature Level 10.0. The only way to fix it, if that’s the cause of the problem, is to buy a new graphics card that supports this feature.
- Make sure to update your graphics card when you have the resources.
If your graphics card supports Feature Level 10.0 but you are having trouble, try the steps below.
2. Switch settings to a dedicated graphics card
Most modern computers today have two graphics cards. One is an internal graphics adapter that is usually installed in the processor and the other is a dedicated graphics card module.
If your computer uses a built-in graphics card, you should switch to a dedicated graphics card as this is usually the more advanced (feature-rich) of the two.
- Open Device Manager by right-clicking the Start menu icon or by typing in the Run dialog box ‘devmgmt.msc‘ and then selecting Device Manager
- Expand Display Adapters, right-click Intel Integrated Graphics Adapter, then click Disable Device.
- The Windows screen will go dark for a second, which means Windows will switch your graphics card to a dedicated card.
- If you wish to reactivate your embedded graphics, repeat the steps above and click Activate Device.
Check if the problem with DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine still occurs.
3. Install latest graphic drivers
One of the reasons this problem can occur is that you don’t have the latest graphics card driver installed.
While Windows 10 will automatically install the latest drivers for your graphics card, sometimes it doesn’t, so you’ll have to do it manually.
- Press Windows + R, type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter to open Device Manager.
- Open Display Adapters and expand the drop-down menu. Right-click on the graphic driver and select Update Driver.
- Click Automatically check for updated driver software and wait while Windows searches for drivers online. Wait for it to be installed and your system to restart.
- If Windows determines that you are using the latest drivers, you will need to visit your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers from there.
1. For NVIDIA cards
- Go to https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
- Choose your product type, range, and products. Make sure you select the appropriate operating system which supports the latest DirectX and hit the search button.
- Download and install the recommended Nvidia drivers.
- Restart your computer.
2. For ATI cards
- Go to https://www.amd.com/en/support.
- Under Manual driver selection, select the product type, product range, and model. Then select the appropriate operating system that supports Direct3D Hardware Feature Level or Direct3D Level 10 and click View Results.
- Restart the computer after installing the driver.
Check if the problem with the DX11 Feature Level 10.0 still occurs.
3. Fix DirectX
This problem is usually caused by a corrupted DirectX installation. Even though DirectX is difficult to remove from your computer, you can fix it.
- Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=de&id=35.
- Download and install the DirectX end-user web installer with administrator rights.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to ensure that all your DirectX 9.0c files are intact.
- Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109.
- Download the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) and install it with administrator rights.
- Restart your computer.
Check if the problem with DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine still persists.
For Windows 7 users
If you are still stuck with your Windows 7 operating system and are experiencing this problem, you should try installing update KB2670838.
This Windows update enables the latest update which supports the latest DirectX support for DX 11 Feature Level 10.0 from game developers. DirectX 12 can also be supported.
- Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805&ranMID=24542&ranEAID=TnL5HPStwNw&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-WrCrbzgmMtL57ukiFza6cg&tduid= (434fde2c3c82a6b8cad478d28d8c3bbc) (256,380) (2,459,594) (TnL5HPStwNw-WrCrbzgmMtL57ukiFza6cg).
- Download and install updates.
- Restart your computer.
- Check if the problem with the DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine still occurs.
conclusion on DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine error
We hope this article was helpful in troubleshooting ‘DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine’ in Windows 7 or later versions of Windows. All rights reserved. DX11 Level 10.0 function is required to start the engine malfunction. This is not serious. Usually, you can start the game by updating the software and drivers on your computer.You may need to update your Windows version or buy a new graphics card in the worst-case scenario.